Over the years I have done a reasonable amount of application packaging and repackaging. Mostly with MSI files. I can’t say I am a packaging ace but I can get by. It’s actually quite funny how many calls I get about packing jobs just because I have “Wise Package Studio” mentioned somewhere in the depths of my CV. Got to love these key word searches!!
Anyway, I had to package the Cisco Web VPN relay ActiveX. For those that want to know this is installed when a user in our case connects to a Web Portal and launches a Smart Tunnel. I have described these Smart Tunnels as application VPNs.
This process will work for any ActiveX so do keep reading…
First of all you will need Wise Package Studio. I have version 7 which I am sure is rather old but it still does the job for us. Then get all of your files and place them in a folder on your WPS machine. Then follow the steps below;
- Open a command prompt (If Win Vista or above ensure its elevated)
- Navigate to the following folder %program files%\alteris\wise package studio\windows installer editor\
- Launch the WiseComCapture.exe /r /r “path to source file” “path to output file” example Wisecomcapture.exe /r /u “c:\myactivex\activex.ocx” “c:\myactivex\activex.reg”
- Now its this reg file and the original source file that you will need to create your MSI
- Next I go into WPS and open the Install editor
- I choose a new Windows package and leave the other options as defaults
- First add all of the name details and general information
- Then I add the OCX and any INF files to the System32 folder
- Then I import my .REG file that we created earlier
- Then compile and save your MSI
- Go and test as you would any MSI file