Installing VMware Horizon Mirage 4.20
I have been working with Mirage the past few weeks as part of our Horizon Suite deployment. First thing to note is that Mirage is a very cool bit of software and its also very clever. I will get to some of those points in another blog post. I also want to talk about our use case as cool tech aside we have to have a use case and a business case to have this deployed… Don’t we!?
So, lets talk installing the product. I had a few little niggles hence why I thought a post would be handy to others who could run into the same issues as me. I am not going to a full step by step guide as the Admin Guide from VMware provides that, however I will post about the errors that I got. Maybe it is just me but the admin guide was a little lacking on a few points.
First things first if you have not already got it, make sure that you have the latest installer version 4.20. This means that you get the new licensing model which is pretty handy. See my post here for more on that.
I can’t say that the admin guide was wrong on this but if like me you misread the install order is very specific and running the Mirage Server setup before the management server will cause a fun little error (See below) where by it fails to register the server due to a mismatch. I quickly worked out that this just installs server files and running the management server must be available. D’oh!!
So just to clarify here is a little screen shot I took of my installers with the order that you should install them in.
Before you start the install make sure that you have turned UAC off, I actually thought I had it off in my template but it would appear not as I got this nice message, turns out the installer was right. So off went UAC.
The next thing that caught was all around the database setup. We have a SQL DBA and he doesn’t like giving us rights to create databases so we have to give him all the information. We are running 2008 R2 SQL database servers and it made sense that I use them instead of MSDE. If this was my lab or a POC I would consider MSDE for ease of setup.
My first error was actually connecting to the database server stated that the connection had failed based on install user rights.
We have enterprise SQL so my instance name was left blank as I knew I was in the default instance. I created a ODBC connection to the server and DB that had been created, which tested out fine. It is also worth noting that I had asked the DBA to create me a DB called VMware_Horizon_Mirage and give my Mirage service account DB Creator rights.
To fix this error I had got the DBA to extend the DB Creator rights to the SQL Server Instance, which he did under duress. I promised he could revoke them after the install and pledged my soul to the SQL god for good measure!!
Some progress ensued but I was then confronted by this error saying that the MIrageDB does not exist. Now I have to say that the Admin Guide says that you can get your DBA to create the DB up front but I didn’t see it mention that it must be called a specific name. So after another trip to the DBA we renamed the database to MirageDB, thinking that would be it I went back to my install, just to get this nice message!
Oh man… I asked for the DB Creator rights which is what the Admin Guide said that I needed. So back to the DBA again and I get DB Owner rights to the Database. Thais got to be it I thought and yes I got further but the Mirgae setup had another ace up its sleeve.
It was a nice error as it says exactly what is wrong “Failed to modify Mirage_DB.log as it does not exist” so back to the DBA and I ask him if the DB rename should have renamed the log file. He made a funny noise and proceeded to rename the file for me.
Back to the installer and we have success!! Happy days.
I hope that this helps someone else avoid multiple trips to their DBA as most of these problems where simple to fix.